Trump administration ends Kamala Harris’s Secret Service protection

Kindly share this story!

The Trump administration has withdrawn Secret Service protection for former U.S. vice president Kamala Harris, ending security coverage that had continued beyond her term in office, a White House official confirmed Friday.

According to CNN, the decision reverses an extension granted by former president Joe Biden, which allowed Harris to retain protection for six months after leaving office. That period expired on July 21.

A senior aide to Harris told AFP that she was “grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety.”

Although Harris has kept a low profile since losing the presidential election, she is expected to return to the public spotlight this fall for a nationwide book tour promoting her upcoming memoir, “107 Days.”

The book, which chronicles her brief presidential campaign against Trump, will be released on September 23 by Simon & Schuster. Harris said the memoir offers “candor and reflection” and promises a “behind-the-scenes account” of her historic run.

Harris, the first woman to serve as vice president of the United States, became the Democratic nominee after President Biden withdrew from the race amid concerns about his cognitive health.

Since taking office in January, Trump has taken a series of steps aimed at critics and former officials. These include revoking security clearances, targeting law firms involved in previous cases against him, and cutting federal funding for certain universities.

Last week, FBI agents raided the home and office of former national security adviser John Bolton, a longtime Trump critic, in an investigation officials said was connected to classified documents.

Leave a Reply