The Abia State Government has unveiled a series of activities to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the state's creation, with the programme expected to feature the commissioning of completed projects, flag-off of new initiatives and a youth-focused technology event.
The Commissioner for Information, Okey Kanu, announced the programme on Monday while briefing journalists on the decisions of the State Executive Council meeting presided over by Governor Alex Otti at Government House, Umuahia.
Kanu said the anniversary celebrations would begin on Sunday, August 23, with an interdenominational thanksgiving service at the Trade More Event Centre, located within the Nnenna Oti Bus Terminal premises in Umuahia.
According to him, Governor Otti will on Tuesday, August 25, commission a number of completed projects and flag off new ones as part of activities marking the anniversary.
The following day, Wednesday, August 26, has been designated Youth Innovation Day. The programme will include a hackathon and technology exhibition to showcase innovative ideas and technological solutions.
The celebrations will culminate on Thursday, August 27, the anniversary of Abia's creation in 1991.
Kanu said the governor would address the people of the state in a broadcast on the morning of the anniversary, after which an anniversary keynote lecture would be held.
He said the lecture would focus on Abia's development journey over the past 35 years, providing an opportunity for the keynote speaker and other participants to assess the state's progress and challenges since its creation by the military administration of General Ibrahim Babangida.
“Finally, on Thursday, the 27th of August, the very day the state was created, the Governor will make a state broadcast in the morning. Later that morning, there will be an anniversary keynote lecture,” Kanu said.
Otti moves to assist Abians returning from South Africa
The commissioner also disclosed that the state government had expanded its intervention for Abia indigenes returning from South Africa.
He said Governor Otti had directed the Commissioner for Poverty Alleviation and Social Protection to investigate whether more Abians were stranded in South Africa and determine possible ways of bringing them back and supporting their reintegration.
The directive followed the government's recent assistance to 31 verified returnees from the country.
Kanu said each of the 31 returnees had been approved to receive N1 million as interim support to enable them begin rebuilding their lives after returning home.
He explained that the financial assistance was part of the administration's efforts to provide immediate relief while longer-term support mechanisms were being developed.
The government, he added, was conducting a comprehensive profiling exercise to identify the individual circumstances and specific needs of the returnees.
The outcome of the exercise would guide the development of appropriate programmes aimed at helping them settle and become economically productive in the state.
Government congratulates Babangida at 85
Kanu further disclosed that members of the State Executive Council had joined in celebrating the 85th birthday of former military administrator General Ibrahim Babangida, who turned 85 on August 17.
He said Governor Otti had earlier issued a congratulatory message to Babangida on the milestone.
The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Ukoha Njoku Ukoha, and the State Director of Information, Lady Chika Orji-Nwoke, were also present during the briefing.

Leave a Reply