Former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Tuesday spent a second night in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over an alleged N432bn corruption probe, as his lawyer pressed for his release on bail.
El-Rufai arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja around 10 a.m. on Monday following an invitation for questioning. However, he was detained after investigators began interrogating him over allegations linked to his eight-year tenure as governor of Kaduna State.
A senior official of the anti-graft agency, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the commission was considering obtaining a remand order to extend his stay in custody beyond the 48 hours allowed by law.
“Forget the speculations being peddled on social media that he has been released. He has not. El-Rufai is still with us and will be spending another night in custody,” the source said.
According to the official, investigators require additional time to conclude questioning and may approach the court for a remand order once the statutory period lapses.
Speaking in a telephone interview, El-Rufai’s counsel, A.U. Mustapha (SAN), confirmed that his client remained in EFCC custody but insisted that he had fully cooperated with investigators.
“As a responsible citizen, he was invited and, true to his word, he honoured the invitation,” Mustapha said. “He is still with the EFCC. He is cooperating to the best of his capacity, and we hope the EFCC will be kind enough to admit him to bail because he is presumed innocent.”
He described the former governor as a man of integrity who voluntarily returned to Nigeria and wrote to the commission indicating his readiness to honour its invitation.
“I am sure if he is granted bail, he will not jump bail. He came on his own volition and kept his word,” the lawyer added.
When asked about the specific allegations, Mustapha declined to comment, saying only the EFCC could provide details, as commenting on the interrogation would be speculative and potentially prejudicial.
The probe stems from a 2024 report by an ad hoc committee of the Kaduna State House of Assembly that examined finances, loans and contracts awarded between 2015 and 2023 under El-Rufai’s administration.
The committee, chaired by Henry Zacharia, alleged that several loans obtained during the period were not used for their intended purposes. While presenting the report, the Speaker of the Assembly, Yusuf Dahiru Leman, claimed that about N423bn was allegedly siphoned during the former governor’s tenure.
The lawmakers recommended the investigation and prosecution of El-Rufai and some former cabinet members over allegations of abuse of office, diversion of public funds, money laundering, contract awards without due process and reckless borrowing. Petitions were subsequently forwarded to the EFCC and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.
El-Rufai has denied the allegations, describing the assembly’s probe as politically motivated. He maintains that loans secured during his tenure were properly appropriated and channelled into infrastructure, education, healthcare and security projects.
An EFCC source said the commission had been investigating the matter for about a year and typically invites suspects only after reaching an advanced stage of inquiry.
In a separate development, the Department of State Services has filed criminal charges against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja over alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
The three-count charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, was filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
According to the charge sheet, El-Rufai allegedly admitted during a February 13, 2026 appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme that he and unnamed associates intercepted Ribadu’s communications. He is yet to be arraigned on the charges.

Leave a Reply