The Oyo State Government has suspended all school excursions, field trips and outdoor academic activities across the state following the deadly attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area that claimed the lives of two teachers and led to the abduction of several pupils and staff members.
The directive came as residents of Ogbomoso on Friday mourned slain teacher, Joel Adesiyan, who was laid to rest amid tears and grief.
Adesiyan, an assistant headmaster at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, was killed when armed bandits invaded schools in communities along the Ahoro-Esiele and Yawota axis last Friday.
His funeral service was held at Ayegun Baptist Church, where family members, colleagues, sympathisers and community leaders gathered to pay their last respects before his remains were buried at his residence in the Owolake area of Ogbomoso.
The coordinated attacks reportedly targeted Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, L.A. Primary School, Esiele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School.
Witnesses said the attackers, who arrived on motorcycles, abducted several pupils, students and teachers during the operation.
Apart from Adesiyan, a commercial motorcyclist was also reportedly shot dead during the invasion.
Governor Seyi Makinde had earlier disclosed that seven students were abducted from Community Secondary School, while 18 pupils and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School.
The governor also confirmed that another teacher, Michael Oyedokun, died while in captivity.
A disturbing video which surfaced online earlier this week allegedly showed the teacher being beheaded by his captors, sparking outrage and deepening fears over the fate of the remaining abductees.
The incident has created panic across Ogbomoso and nearby communities, with many parents reportedly withdrawing their children from schools over safety concerns.
Some schools were temporarily shut following rumours of bandit infiltration at Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, although the institution later denied the claims.
In response to the worsening security situation, the Oyo State Ministry of Education, Science and Technology announced fresh safety measures for schools across the state.
In a circular signed by the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, B.T. Oyinloye, school administrators were directed to suspend all activities that involve taking students outside school premises.
The circular, which was addressed to education stakeholders including TESCOM, SUBEB, principals, head teachers and zonal education officers, stated that the decision was necessary to safeguard students and staff.
“In view of the recent security concerns, the Ministry is taking steps to safeguard the lives of students and members of staff in all schools in Oyo State,” the circular read.
“All school administrators are hereby directed to suspend all excursions, field trips, sports competitions and any other activities that require moving students outside school premises until further notice.”
The ministry also stated that all previous approvals for such activities had been cancelled, adding that the safety of schoolchildren remains paramount.
School authorities were urged to ensure that students remain within school premises during school hours and to promptly report suspicious movements around schools to security agencies.
The government said the directive takes immediate effect and would be reviewed once the security situation improves.

Leave a Reply