The Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited says coordinated security operations have almost eliminated crude oil theft, a menace that has plagued the nation’s petroleum sector for years.
Group Chief Executive Officer of NNPC, Bayo Ojulari, disclosed this at a regional security forum in Abuja on Monday, noting that the improved security collaboration has restored confidence in Nigeria’s crude evacuation network.
“Today, I can proudly say our pipeline and terminal receipts are approaching 100 percent,” Ojulari stated. “This success was driven by enhanced intelligence sharing and joint operations, particularly in the Niger Delta where the bulk of our oil infrastructure is located.”
Until recently, oil theft had crippled Nigeria’s output, with some pipelines delivering as little as 30 percent of pumped crude to export terminals. The losses cost the government billions of dollars and discouraged foreign investors.
Ojulari revealed that the criminal activity was not limited to local actors but also involved “sophisticated international syndicates” exploiting regional security vulnerabilities. Curbing the theft, he said, required close coordination among the military, intelligence agencies, and private security contractors.
The clampdown has been followed by a steady rise in production. At an industry event last week, regulators projected output could exceed 2.5 million barrels per day by 2026 — a level last seen in 2005 before militancy slashed production to near 1 million bpd in 2016.
Since 2021, NNPC has implemented a multi-pronged strategy involving private security outfits and state security agencies to safeguard vital oil assets, part of its broader push to stabilise production and attract investment back into the sector.
Leave a Reply